Bacon Mac ‘n Cheese Bites
Your favourite mac ‘n cheese, now conveniently bite-sized. Add in the bacon for a treat that can’t be beat! Better yet, these fun appetizers can be made ahead and frozen-just reheat when needed!
MAKES 48 PIECES | TIME REQUIRED: LESS THAN 1 HOUR
- 2 cups macaroni
- 1 package Prasuma Streaky Bacon , chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour (maida)
- 2 cups milk
- ½ small onion, minced
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- Around 200 gms finely chopped Cheddar cheese
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup fine breadcrumbs
- Vegetable/ Olive oil
Preheat the oven to 190°C. Lightly coat the insides of 48 mini muffin tins with oil.
Cook the macaroni in a pot of boiling water that’s been salted. Let it cook until just tender, then drain and set aside.
Cook the bacon in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until it’s crisp and golden brown. Transfer it to a tissue paper–lined plate to drain. Transfer about 2 tablespoons of the leftover bacon fat to a small bowl.
Whisk the flour into the bacon fat remaining in the saucepan and cook, whisking, over medium-low heat for 3 minutes. Gradually whisk in the milk, then add the onion and paprika. Simmer gently, stirring frequently, until thick and creamy, which should take about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheeses. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Stir the macaroni into the cheese sauce, then gently fold in the bacon. Divide the macaroni mixture evenly among the coated muffin tins. Toss together the breadcrumbs and remaining bacon fat and sprinkle evenly over the macaroni. Bake until the breadcrumbs are lightly browned. That should take about 15 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes before removing from the muffin cups and serving.
- If you’re preparing this in advance, follow the following steps:
- Prepare and bake the macaroni the same way as above, simply leaving out the breadcrumbs.
- Remove from the tins and let it cool down completely.
- Arrange them on a baking sheet and freeze until firm.
- Transfer them to a resealable plastic bag or airtight container. They can go up to an entire month if kept frozen!
- To reheat, simply place the Mac ‘n Cheese Bites on a baking sheet, sprinkle with breadcrumbs, and then bake in a 190°C oven until they’re thoroughly warmed.